Looking forward to the future
What a ride the last year and 7 months have been! Before we share our 2018 plans, we want to thank you for your steadfast prayers, support, and encouragement. Thank you for being patient with us as we learned German and adjusted to the culture. Thank you for your excitement over the little and big things that we have shared. It means more than you know, and we are so thrilled to be part of how God is growing his kingdom in Germany!
With that being said, here are the three big 2018 announcements!
1. An official commitment
Three years ago, we met Eide Schwing on a Skype call. During our last year in America, he and his wife, Helga, mentored us and agreed to continue doing so once we arrived in Hannover. At the time, the Schwings had just planted Christus Gemeinde Laatzen, and it was a small home group with a handful of people. Fast forward to today, and the home group has grown to 15-20 regular attendees whom we have seen grow radically in their faith. That may not seem like many people, but considering most churches here average about 30 people every Sunday, it is really quite a large number!
After a lot of prayer and counsel, we have decided to officially join the Christus Gemeinde Laatzen team. That means we will stay in Laatzen for the foreseeable future, serving this suburb of Hannover and working to reach some of its 50,000 residents.
2. Starting a second home group
The next step in growing the church is starting another home group and trying to reach a new set of people. God has blessed us with so many relationships here, and we are praying for those friends to be part of a new home group we are starting in January. We plan to meet once a week with the people God will send us. Right now, the idea is that we will have a community dinner together, followed by a conversation around spiritual topics. One of our big goals was to be able to serve families, and an amazing woman from Christus Gemeinde Laatzen has agreed to come every week and do a kids’ Bible lesson and watch them while the parents talk. God is already opening doors for our group to be successful!
3. Quarterly worship services
This was one of the ideas we were most excited to share with Eide and Helga during our vision casting meeting a few weeks ago, and we were so excited that they were excited! Basically, there is a lot of excitement on our team! In 2018, Christus Gemeinde Laatzen will host four worship services to bring the two home groups together and to give the people in our community an opportunity to see what a worship service that truly honors Christ looks like. This is a HUGE step for the church, and we know God is going to bless those services and use them to reach new people in Laatzen.
It’s safe to say that 2018 is going to be a year full of change and growth, and we are looking forward to being a small part of that in our corner of the world.
What else we’ve been up to
The last couple of months have been really busy for us in the best way. Here are some highlights:
- Nick has preached twice in the last month and will preach again on November 19 at Christus Gemeinde Hannover.
- Mallorie took on the role of leading the children’s program at Christus Gemeinde Hannover for the rest of this school year. She leads the program 2-3 times a month now.
- The Alpha Course, an introduction to spiritually and Christianity designed to reach non-believers, begins this month, and two of our friends, M and A, have committed to taking the course! Nick met M and A in language school, and after inviting them to church, they are now regular attenders and are having conversations with Nick about what it means to be a Christian. We are praying for them to accept Jesus as their Savior and be baptized! Please pray for them and all of the people who will come to Alpha Course. Nick will also be a part of the team hosting conversations each week.
- Nick travelled to Wüstenrot to visit Kontaktmission’s headquarters for the annual German church planters meeting. This was a revitalizing time for him, and he came away with some great ideas.
- We travelled as a family to Dresden at the beginning of October to help our friends and fellow Kontaktmission missionaries, Ryan and Elyse Dillon, open up Cafe Story. The vision of Cafe Story is to reach people in the community for Christ by offering a safe, unassuming place to encounter him. They have already hosted some cool events like a family pumpkin carving and worship evening, which brought in several new families from the community! Cool stuff happening here!
A humble request
First off, thank you so much to those of you who have given faithfully to our ministry. We are so grateful for you.
If you haven’t already, we need you to become a monthly supporter. Donations from people like you make our ministry here possible, particularly as we move into 2018.
As with any growing ministry, more influence in our community means more financial needs. Please become part of our ministry support team today by clicking here, and help us continue reaching Germans for the gospel!
One more time!
Thank you so much, friends! We are so thankful and blessed by you. If we can pray for you, just respond to this email and let us know how.
Your brother and sister in Christ,
Nick and Mallorie Burczyk